WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE
ABOUT YOUR SKIN?
Your skin is the largest organ in your body. It is also waterproof; no water can enter into the skin from the outside…
- Sustains vital systems, processes & nutrients within the body, cushioning and protecting deeper layers.
- Provides an external waterproof barrier to prevent pathogens from entering the body.
- Provides a shield from ultra violet radiation
emitted from the sun.
- Regulates body temperature via sweat.
- Detects pain, sensation,vibration and pressure
Healthy skin must have a minimum moisture content of 10%. Below that level the skin is dehydrated. It is unable to do its job of protecting the body against the environment. Symptoms of dehydrated skin are tightness, itchiness, rough skin and diffused redness.
HOW DOES THE SKIN GET DEHYDRATED?
Your skin loses moisture into the environment every minute of the day. Nature has put in place an ingenious system that allows your skin to regulate the amount of moisture it loses. This system is called the acid mantle. It’s a combination of the skin’s oils with sweat and some chemicals called ‘natural moisturizing factors’. This ‘acid mantle’ could be considered the only truly natural skin care cream. Everything else is man made.
SO WHY DOES OUR SKIN GET DEHYDRATED?
The skin’s natural protection is not enough to maintain adequate moisture levels in the skin. Our environment, artificial heating and cooling, wind, sun and weather conspire to weaken the acid mantle and to cause the skin to lose too much moisture.
Another deciding factor is what we do to our skin: every time you cleanse your skin you remove some of the skin’s oils, weakening the acid mantle. You need to replenish and reinforce the acid mantle with a good skin care cream.
THE 5 PRIMARY SKIN CONCERNS
The primary skin conditions that affect the quality of the skin include:
If you compare skin from areas of the body that have always been protected from the environment with the skin on your face, neck and hands you’ll notice a significant difference.
This difference is ‘premature’ ageing. Excessive exposure to the sun’s UV rays plays a major role. It is now known that low level inflammation in the skin can lead to the formation of enzymes that destroy collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid.
Any action that leaves the skin in a state of sub-clinical inflammation will cause damage to these vital structures in the skin.
Dehydration of the skin and the application of caustic ingredients such as acids have been identified as causes of inflammation.
Most pigmentation is caused by inflammatory processes in the skin.
This is referred to as PIP – Post Inflammatory Pigmentation. The solution is to remove the cause of inflammation, be that excessive exposure to the sun, or dehydration of the skin, or skin care containing caustic ingredients that leave the skin in a constant state of micro-inflammation.
If the source of inflammation is removed the skin will, as it renews itself over time, shed the discoloured cells, revealing normal colour cells. Certain ingredients such as Bearberry Extract, Arbutin and some others can help speed this process.
Deep dermal pigmentation may be caused by hormonal activity, medication or other processes in the skin. Such conditions are very difficult to treat.
They require professional diagnosis and advice regarding suitable treatment options.
Your skin constantly loses moisture to the environment.
The moisture is replenished from underneath, from inside your body. Balance is all-important: if moisture is lost quicker than it can be replenished your skin will get dehydrated.
Dehydration can lead to many problems, including redness, low-level inflammation, pigmentation shifts and sensitivity. Symptoms are dehydration lines and tightness of the skin.
In severe cases micro-injuries caused by the contraction of skin cells may lead to an itching sensation or the skin may feel rough, like sandpaper.
These conditions are warning signs of premature ageing. Dr. Spiller creams are formulated to ensure lasting hydration of the skin.
Very few skins are truly ‘sensitive’. Mostly, we speak about ‘sensitized’ skin, i.e. the skin appears sensitive because of what we have done to it, or what we may have omitted to do.
Dehydration of the skin will lead to micro-injuries, leading to inflammation and to sensitivity.
The application of aggressive ingredients will cause the formation of inflammatory molecules, leaving the skin red and sensitive. Any action that interferes with or weakens/damages the skin’s natural protection is likely to lead to sensitivity and to redness.
In fact, diffused redness is now a very common condition.
It must be remembered that sebum, the skin’s own oils, are one of the main tools the skin uses to slow the loss of moisture from the skin.
It has been said that a total lack of the skin’s own oils would lead to a daily loss of 20 litres of water through the skin. Your body perceives dehydration of the skin as a danger; it responds by upregulating its production of sebum.
Oiliness is an indication that the skin is trying to protect itself against moisture loss.
The solutions is counterintuitive: if you apply an oil-based moisturizer that ensures long-term hydration the skin will tend to normalize its production of sebum. You should not be afraid of oils in your skin care cream – they are important to the health of your skin.
SKIN CARE WORKS
SURPRISING FACTS ABOUT SKIN CARE
A cosmetic chemist has two choices when producing a skin care cream: he can make it water-based, or he can make it oil based.
Most skin care creams are water-based. Your skin is waterproof.
How well would a water-based cream penetrate into the skin?
TRADITIONAL CHOICE A:
The vast majority of skin care creams on the market are water-based. They are light, easy to apply and feel good on the skin. However, these creams often require higher levels of chemicals such as emulsifiers and preservatives and they generally do not maintain the skin’s hydration levels for long. In fact, studies have shown that:
- Water starts to evaporate from the cream the instant it is applied to the skin
- Within 30 minutes the majority of the moisture contained in the cream has evaporated
TRADITIONAL CHOICE B:
Oil-based creams are scientifically proven to maintain moisture levels in the skin much longer. They have also been found to deliver active ingredients into the skin far more effectively than water-based creams.
Oil-based creams are not very popular because they traditionally have a very high oil content (around 50%), giving your skin an unpleasant heavy and greasy consistency.
DR SPILLER BIO COSMETICS
All skin care ranges are either water-based or oil-based.
Dr. Spiller Biocosmetic is neither.
DR. HORST SPILLER’S UNIQUE FORMULATION TECHNOLOGY
Combining the best of both approaches, Dr. Spiller has pioneered an iconic formulation to care for your skin in a way that other creams cannot. He has developed technology that allows him to produce super-light oil-based creams. His creams combine the best of both worlds: light, easy and comfortable to apply like a water-based cream, with all the advantages of longer-lasting hydration and superior delivery of active ingredients of an oil-based cream.
THE HY-TEC™ EMULSION SYSTEM
Your skin is an outstanding barrier, protecting you from foreign pathogens and other dangers. Cosmetic chemists are constantly striving to find better ways to deliver active ingredients into the skin. It is particularly hard with water-based ingredients since the skin is waterproof.
A high-tech solution has been the inclusion of liposomes in water-based creams. Liposomes are tiny spheres of oil which can mix with the skin’s sebum and so deliver the actives contained in them. Dr. Spiller’s creams are similar to liposomes – outside oil, inside water with actives.
HOW HY-TEC™ EMULSION SYSTEM TECHNOLOGY WORKS
• Each water droplet is surrounded by a thin lipid membrane.
• The oil-based membrane inhibits oxidation and provides a barrier to microbial contamination of the enclosed water and its actives.
• The lipid base biomimetically replicates the sebum (triglycerides, wax esters, squalene, cholesterol esters and cholesterol) and dissolved lamellar granules (free fatty acids and ceramides).
• Biomimetic vitamin E (as naturally secreted by the sebaceous gland) is added to protect the lipid membrane from oxidation.
• HY-TEC™ technology replicates the skin’s acid mantle very closely; active ingredients are absorbed 120% more effectively for long lasting correction and protection. It is a very efficient delivery system for actives.
HYDRATION OF THE SKIN – fundamental to healthy skin
- Dr. Spiller creams replenish and reinforce your skin’s natural protection against moisture loss. Skin hydration lasts all day long, as illustrated in this graphic.
- Many women complain that their skin gets dehydrated. If your skin starts to feel dry or tight by the middle of the day you most likely experience what is illustrated with the blue line in the graphic:
- The bottom line shows the minimum level of skin hydration. Scientific testing has shown that the water content of a water-based cream evaporates very quickly from the skin. Within a few hours the moisture content of the skin can be below the line of minimum hydration. Symptoms are dryness, tightness and, in bad cases, rough skin.